Skip to main content

Three Tips on Branding Yourself

One thing that I've been learning this week has been about branding. A brand is a powerful symbol that defines who you are as an individual. A brand is in every single thing that you ever produce. As a Youtuber, most people stick with themselves as the brand and concept and thus it is critical that you "Brand yourself". As such it's important to be aware of your content, being the best that it can be with what you have, but also that you, as the brand, are able to connect with other people.

I've been struggling a lot with these two concepts, not so much my content but especially my branding and presentation. My content is alright, but there is definitely room for improvement.

But anyway I want to be talking about the branding yourself as I've been learning a lot about it and I'd like to share some tips. These tips I believe are crucial to growing a channel and are things that I'm learning through my mentor and I'll be applying as well.

Tip #1 - Aim for authenticity


This was something I talked briefly about in my daily journal today (you can check it out here) and that is to be genuine and authentic. 

Again the whole "be yourself" sort of schtick.

But I believe this is more fitting when it comes to branding because again, most Youtubers choose to brand themselves. So you need to be careful about what sort of vibes you are giving off in your trailer but also in your own content.

This is something I learned recently since I created a new trailer in order to rebrand myself. However the opening part of the trailer is rather forced and a little out of place with the rest of the video. People can be completely disconnected by that and leave without seeing the whole video. And I know for a fact that I only tend to do that in trailer videos rather than my usual content so it really doesn't make sense.

Be genuine

Either way my point is you want to be genuine in everything that you do. If you feel like you have to force something then don't do it. There is no harm in going back on something you said, as long as the reason is an actual good one. "I don't feel like it" doesn't count.

I took a break from posting content for a week this week, the reason being was I need to rebrand myself. I felt stuck and I needed some space to clear my head and get clarity. Yeah I know I say in my brand I post daily and it did bother me at first that I didn't post anything. But it's either I continue using a strategy that isn't getting me the results I want and once I do figure something out that change becomes very abrupt for both me and my viewers. Or I can take a break, figure things out and then get back up and present a plan. Yeah my viewers may be sad I'm not posting content but it's just as jarring if I'm posting completely different content from week to week.

Tip #2 - Be Consistent

When it comes to marketing, obviously your branding and theme will be what sticks out in your content. Who you are and how you present yourself is everything in your videos and on social media. It's incredibly vital that in every social media account you have related to your channel, that it's the same. You do not want your audience to be bouncing around to other social media sites to get the full picture of your content. If they followed you on one page it's a good indicator that they want to see content on this site specifically. They don't want to be bounced around. Unless they are genuinely interested in your content and you have some street cred so people know who you are.

My point is that regardless of the platform people are following you on, they should know who you are, and your brand. That means no different images on social media sites. Stick to one image and use it throughout.

The same goes for content. Even if you're channel has some variety to it's content the personality should be the same across each video. But also the videos within that series should be the same formula. If you decide to change it, announce it on social media or in the video itself. Provide some point of reference rather than change it suddenly.

Tip #3 - Be Patient

Gary Vaynerchuk talks a lot about patience and I believe it is incredibly important too. I've said it before that we live in a world where people want results very quickly. The truth is that it takes time to build yourself up and it also takes time to brand yourself I believe.

I've gone through several transitions with the channel that I have right now to the point that it's a complete mess. Yeah you can say it looks bad, but for me it explains a journey. I've seen channels that are posting consistent content from the day they started to right now. There is nothing out of place or unusual. But that's their journey, not mine.

My point is that when it comes to branding yourself you can decide what it is you want to be showing off to people. For me I see it as a progression. From the very first video I uploaded to right now there is a massive difference in the videos, again a constant work in process. I believe that branding yourself is very much like that. So don't be afraid to experiment and reposition yourself. But one thing I would suggest is give yourself a break if you are thinking of doing a switch. Allow yourself to breath but also figure out your direction and purpose.

Wrapping Up

Let's hear your thoughts down below! What do you think is an important part of a brand?

Until next time.

Eric S Burdon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Youtuber Shoutout

Hello everyone and welcome to Youtubers Shoutout! A simple blog with the intent to help other youtubers out there get recognized for their work! Being a Youtuber myself, I understand the struggle and people wanting to be the next Markiplier, PewDiePie, or Casey Neistat. It's very tough to break through and get noticed and that's really what this blog is all about. Getting people to break through and get discovered. So you may be asking... How will you be doing this? Well I'm glad you asked this. I'll be doing this in two ways: reviews, and sharing. Let me go and explain each one. Sharing Sharing is the not-as impactful method that I'll be using but it'll serve a purpose. Sharing is simply what it says on the box, I'll be sharing other peoples content. This will be no different than the hundreds of Youtube Retweet/Share accounts that are on twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. It's an overused method, but I'm adding something new.

Omnisek Channel Review

Follow Omnisek! Twitter       Youtube         Instagram Omnisek has been on Youtube for quite some time, but didn't start posting videos regularly until 5 months ago. Omniseks provides a combination of gaming and vlogging and is passionate about helping other people. He is part of a community called team filthy that also strives to help other people. Here’s the video that I saw when I first dropped onto his channel. Equipment Used 2 monitors  1ms response time Samsung's keyboard  blackwidow mouse  mamba Razer chroma mouse pad  pc is hand build (Logitech camera 920, maybe i5, 3570k Intel processor, z77 stock mobo 8 gb of ram ssd) The Grading Channel Look Old Channel Look When I first went to Omnisek's channel I was once again greeted by loud music to catch my attention. Looking at the opening I’d say the intro is very typical for most gamers introductions. It’s still is a good opening, however there isn’t anything too distinct t

Grading Method

Grading Method So as per my  opening post, I'll be using a grading system to do my reviews.  This grading method that I'm using is a simple one to five numbering system, one being the lowest and five being the highest. I'll also include an overall score and a rank as well. In this post I'll be going into detail what all the numbers and letters will mean. Not only that but I'll be talking about what in the world  the grading method will serve for in these reviews. Significance  Like I said in my beginning post the purpose of these reviews is to provide valuable feedback to the creator. What is really good and makes them stand out, but also what they can work on. This will always be outlined in a positive way and be explained as well. Saying a video is bad doesn't really help the creator. Same goes as saying a video is good. Not only that but the review will also serve as a way to decide next steps for the creator as well. To work on the recommendati